Saturday, January 22, 2011

IDENTITY


IDENTITY

The root of the word identity seems to come from the Latin, identidem: repeatedly.  It is a contraction of idem et idem which means, the same and same.  This implies that at its core, one’s identity is stable, fixed and sure. 

When I look at the definition of identity: (the state or fact of remaining the same one or ones, as under varying aspects or conditions), there is, something implied of stability and being true to some inner value.   There is some inherent quality that one comes back to, time and time again.  There is a consistency.
There is another part of the definition: (the set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an individual is recognizable as a member of a group), that would seem to be open to alteration.  The question becomes, “Who am I in relation to this group?”  Again, the implication is that one has a distinctness about him that sets him apart, and allows him to be both defined and included in the group.  He has found his place; his individuality.
What happens when the group changes significantly?  What effect does this have on identity and individuality when one is surrounded by changing factors that used to be markers for behavior?  How does one maintain the quality of remaining the same under the conditions that are changing?  How does one change behavior to accommodate a new environment as it is shifting and in flux?  Does one push the “pause” button and wait for some sense of stability to gel, thereby forfeiting input that would come from his own identity or inner core beliefs?  Or does one continue to be true to those beliefs even if they are not valued by the group?
Another question is, do we really value individuality?  Do we really value the distinct personality of an individual that is a persisting entity?  Does the Gospel require this?  If so, how do we work at this as leaders and as individuals that are part of a whole?  How do we work a valuing those who are different, who do not share our life experience and outlook?
How do we make time for listening and relationship that will foster understanding to move beyond threat and strengthen the bonds of the group?  How do we let down the guards and the protective barriers to let others in enough to seek to see from another perspective?  How do we remain in the center of the ring, and not retreat to our respective corners at the first sign of challenge?
What happens when core beliefs are challenged by new revelation?  Do we regard those beliefs as immutable, or can we adopt the attitude that fuller revelation can alter the application with a new behavior? 
I’ve been asking these questions both as a leader and as a member of a group.  It seems to me that I cannot change alone.  Everything I do affects others.  Everything others do affects me.  I cannot remain unchanged in a new environment. 

When Jesus said, “Behold, I make all things new,” some old things had to change.  So I am asking what part of my identity needs to be upgraded to be like Him?  How can I bring that into the groups that I am a part of as a leader to impart vision and possibility to others, and as a member of a group to encourage and build up and strengthen that group.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria. I hope you don't mind if I comment on your blog. I was so intrigued as I read it. First of all I was amazed and humbled by your openness and your honest thought processes. And I related those things to your question about should you keep your own core values even though its not valued by others in the group and I hoped that you never adjust or modify them. I saw that pure honesty with yourself and the willingness to ask those questions core values in your being. the willingness to explore such difficult questions is nothing short of courageous and truth seeking. Jesus said that those who seek after truth will find it. Don't ever stop! You must continue to be true to your own core values even though it may not be accepted, encouraged, or valued by any one else. and as you lay them down before your Lord, He will mold you as He chooses.It's not anyone's job to do that, not even yours, only His. We have to be true to our own hearts. Jesus HImself was true to his own core values even when no one else agreed or valued them. He made us individuals that have the ability to blend into groups, but I don't believe He wants us to put the "blending" agenda first. My personal belief is that we have to be strong and confident in who he made us to be...not on our own, but joined to His being... first and then we will blend in naturally with those He wants us blending with. ESPECIALLY if you're a leader. I've done the other thing...I've silenced my own core values for the purpose of blending with others and God never blessed that. In the end, it never produced anything for anyone ...not me or for anyone in the group. It eventually always ended up in frustration. God was always graceful and patient and faithful as I learned these valuable lessons. I have learned that those core values were placed there by Him and he wants me to be confident in those things and have full expression of them. He is so very vast, and it takes many many individuals to express His being. If we continue to adjust and modify the expression He is so wanting us to keep,He will just keep putting us on the path He chose first. He is faithful and still gently guides us, but is doesn't change His purpose for our lives. If others in the group dont' understand or dont' value who we are, He will deal with that too. He is amazingly gracious and perfect! I stand in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your insight and encouragement. I am always trying to explore from many angles and come to the answer that will help me move forward. This is a time of great challenge and great change and I don't want to change for the sake of changing, but neither do I want to hold onto an old revelation or system, when God is offering something so new I can't understand it yet.

    ReplyDelete