Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Tribe of Napthali; the Journey, and My Identification



In a conference, many years ago, I had the privilege of being in a service with a word being released about the Twelve Tribes of Israel.  At the end of the presentation of the word, there was a procession displaying the banners of the tribes. 

I had just found out that there is a possibility I have Jewish blood through my grandmother.  Her maiden name was Leeman, which had been changed from Lehman when the family came to the United States.

As I was sitting there in my chair, I began to ask the Lord, “If I do have Jewish blood, what tribe would I be from?”  I believed the Lord could show me as I enjoyed the procession, viewing the banners as they promenaded around the room accompanied by worship music.   Banner after spectacular banner passed me by.  I have to say I have never before, or since, seen banners as beautiful and elaborate as these.  They were exquisite.  It had taken many hours and tremendous love and vision to create this artwork of fabric.  Each banner had the symbol of the tribe displayed on the front.  For example, the Tribe of Judah had a large and magnificent lion.

I sat there fascinated and awed by the beauty and the intricacy of the designs.  As each banner passed me, I had no sense that it had anything to do with me.  I began to think that the little prayer was just a whim of my heart and started to dismiss the possibility that these banners or the tribes of Israel would have any connection to me.

I settled into the atmosphere and watched.  As one of the banners came close to where I was sitting, I saw that a deer was the symbol of the one approaching.  I strained to read the name, since I was unfamiliar with the tribes at that point in my life.  As I was waiting for it to come closer, I felt like my heart was pierced.  There was a physical sensation similar to a punch to the chest, coupled with a skipped heartbeat.  This was nearly the last banner, and I had already given up the thought that God would speak to me, so the feeling was all the more shocking. 

The banner passed my seat and I saw the tribe was Napthali.  I knew nothing about the symbolism of the name. I found myself a little disappointed that, not only was the animal a deer, which seemed a bit innocuous to me, but I didn’t understand my heart’s strong reaction to it.  I wrote down the name so I would not forget, and decided to do some research when I got home.

As I began to look up the scripture references of all the tribes in the Bible, I saw that Napthali was the one which had the least information.  The primary meaning is “wrestling.”  This did not help my feeling of being slighted a bit.  Who wants to be identified with struggle?  I guess I wanted the validation of being associated with a more prominent or stronger symbolism.  There are also words about being a “hind set free” and having beautiful words.  I moved on from the surface study into other, more interesting pursuits.

Let me fast forward to January 2010.  While I was in Washington, D.C. on a prayer tour, I met a woman of prominence with connections in Israel and also the Israeli Embassy in D.C.  While we engaged in conversation about an event that had taken place in Jerusalem during the Feast of Tabernacles, she described some banners that had been made for it, explaining the time, the expense and the labor of love to design them.  One of the members of our group made the connection to the banners at the event I had attended.  Indeed, they had been loaned by her friends. 

Sometimes we don’t know the lengths God will go to give us a message.  I felt privileged to hear “the rest of the story” also learning that the banners had been in storage and had recently found a permanent home in a church.  I tucked the incident away again in the archives of my mind, not thinking further about doing any more research, but merely enjoying the story.

This week, as I was preparing more for my classes on Israel, I was studying the book of Revelation.  As I was seeing that the foundations of the Temple were made of precious stones and understanding the stones were laid out in the exact order of the stones on the breastplate of the High Priest, I looked up some of the meanings of the stones.  Imagine my surprise to find that the stone representing the Tribe of Napthali is my birthstone! 

I think God now has my attention!  Maybe I am a slow study, but I know that I am right on time for revelation.  I have looked up the scriptures for the Tribe of Napthali and I am beginning to look more deeply into them.  There so much more than I originally thought.  I am very humbled to see some of the meaning beyond the obvious.  I am surprised to find strong warriors in the line and those who were loyal and called blessed, who received an inheritance of the richest land.  I am finding a whole new meaning for ones of “beautiful words.”  It makes me wonder at myself for the arrogance based in ignorance.

God is so amazing.  He just keeps unfolding things as we move along with Him.  He just keeps pouring out grace after grace.  He just keeps waiting until we are ready to receive.  If I just studied this one thing to really hear all that God is saying, it just might take me the rest of my life to even begin to walk in the inheritance of the Tribe of Napthali, whether or not I actually have any Jewish blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment